Saturday, November 18, 2017
just like that guy.
Our friends at Off the Shelf have come up with a great list of unsettling unsolved mysteries. Read it here.
They'll make for excellent book discussions!
Here's a sample:
Thursday, November 16, 2017
The winners of the 2017 National Book Awards were announced in NYC last night and
here they are:
Fiction: "Sing Unburied Sing" by Jesmyn Ward
Non-Fiction: "The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia" by Masha Gessen
These are the nominated titles:
Elliot Ackerman: Dark at the Crossing
Lisa Ko: The Leavers
Min Jin Lee: Pachinko
Carmen Maria Machado: Her Body and Other Parties: Stories
Erica Armstrong Dunbar: Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge
Frances FitzGerald: The Evangelicals: The Struggle to Shape America
David Grann: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
Nancy MacLean: Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Six books recommended by the lady herself!
See what they are right here from BookBub.
And for all you Big Little Lies fans, it looks like HBO is scheduling a 2018 spring production start for season 2!
I'm on the fence about whether this is a good idea or not. Why mess with the perfection of the original series?
To be perfectly frank, I'll watch it regardless.
And I'll read anything Moriarty writes so, I'm a fan.
Choose your next title from the birthday girl right here.
The awards were presented during the World Fantasy convention held November 2-5, 2017 in San Antonio, TX.
Lifetime Achievement Award
- The Sudden Appearance of Hope, Claire North (Redhook; Orbit UK) (winner)
- Borderline, Mishell Baker (Saga)
- Roadsouls, Betsy James (Aqueduct)
- The Obelisk Gate, N.K. Jemisin (2nd book in the series) (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
- Lovecraft Country, Matt Ruff (Harper)
Best Long Fiction
- The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, Kij Johnson (Tor.com Publishing) (winner)
- The Ballad of Black Tom, Victor LaValle (Tor.com Publishing)
- Every Heart a Doorway, Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
- “Bloodybones”, Paul F. Olson (Whispered Echoes)
- A Taste of Honey, Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor.com Publishing)
Best Short Fiction
- “Das Steingeschöpf”, G.V. Anderson (Strange Horizons 12/12/16) (winner)
- “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, Brooke Bolander (Uncanny 11-12/16)
- “Seasons of Glass and Iron”, Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood)
- “Little Widow”, Maria Dahvana Headley (Nightmare 9/16)
- “The Fall Shall Further the Flight in Me”, Rachael K. Jones (Clockwork Phoenix 5)
There they are folks! Congrats to all the winners!
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
This terrific article from Broadly focuses on the strange
11-day disappearance in 1926 of Agatha Christie.
There is speculation as to what happened and the article is a must read.
With the remake of Murder on the Orient Express in theaters now, there is a renewed interest in the Queen of Mystery.
Borrow some titles right here!
Friday, November 10, 2017
The 2017 National Book Award Non-Fiction Finalists are....
Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave Ona Judge by Erica Armstrong Dunbar;
The Evangelicals: The Struggle to Shape America by Frances Fitzgerald;
The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia by Masha Gessen;
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann;
Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America by Nancy Maclean
Thursday, November 9, 2017
The finalists are:
Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
Here's the longlist titles:
Here's the longlist titles:
For the non-fiction titles click here to go to the National Book Foundation Website or tune in tomorrow!